The FIMS Graduate Library is looking to hire a team of Student Library Assistants (SLAs) to work part-time in public service and project-based roles in the Library for the coming academic year. We value diverse perspectives, experiences, and differences, and encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds and positionalities to apply, including: IBPOC, 2SLGBTQIA+, and persons with disabilities. We are committed to building a diverse team; one that reflects and is representative of community the FIMS Graduate Library serves.
What we are looking for…
- currently enrolled LIS graduate students who have completed, or who will complete, LIS 9003 by the end of August 2023
- students who are keen to gain hands-on work experience in a small, special academic library
- people with the ability to work on-site, part-time (including evenings and/or weekends) through the Fall 2023 and Winter 2024 academic terms
- skills and interest in social media, public service, and library and educational programming and/or project work (Please note: Not all individuals require strengths across all areas; we are looking to build a team with these interests and capacities overall)
What to expect in the SLA role…
- 6-9 hours of work (3-hour shifts) per week
- regularly assigned shifts (i.e., the same hours each week) with the opportunity to pick-up additional hours and the flexibility to trade shifts with SLA colleagues
- both public service and project-based work assignments
- independent, as well as collaborative work (at times, working solo, on-site in the FIMS Graduate Library)
- the opportunity to gain hands-on, practical experience in many aspects of day-to-day library operations, as well as the planning and execution of library services and programming
- rate of pay: $22/hour
We encourage International graduate students to apply. In order to be eligible to work on campus, International graduate students must: 1) be enrolled at Western full-time; 2) have a valid study permit that includes working conditions; and 3) have an SIN number. If you are unsure of your eligibility to work on campus, please consult the following Government of Canada resource: Who Can Work On Campus? or book an appointment with an International Student Advisor here at Western.
If you require specific support to apply for this position, please get in touch and we will work with you to identify the best way to support you.
To apply, please submit an application via email (Attn: Melanie Mills, Director, FIMS Graduate Library) to email@example.com. Include an up-to-date resume or curriculum vitae, along with a brief statement that confirms your eligibility and outlines your interest in working at the FIMS Graduate Library for the coming academic year.
While we thank all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews are anticipated to be scheduled during the week of July 24th – 28th, 2023.
Application deadline: Friday, July 21st, 2023 (12pm, EST)